Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Parent Teacher Conference

Today was Kaleo's parent teacher meeting. I was nervous and anxious a bit. Kaleo had a rough time last year. Im sure it was a combination of moving to a new place (getting used to that), missing all the people he knew back home and getting accustomed to being in school. So last year consisted of MANY meltdowns, very defiant at times, a little aggression and A LOT of crying on both our parts. With this school year I was fully expecting a repetition of all these, however, Im so happy to say that we have not experienced any of these this year (so far). He gets on his school bus very nicely. He actually runs towards the bus when last year it was the complete opposite and there were many many times where I would have to physically pick him up and try to wrestle him into his seat on the bus. Now when the doors to the bus open he says "good morning" to the driver and bus matron, walks up the steps of the bus turns and says "bye mama i love you". He's even gone as far as to wave to me happily from his seat!!!!!!!!

However, after speaking to his OT, PT, Speech therapist and teachers I am simply gleaming with pride. I got the same comment from each and every one of them "He is the highlight of my day. I look forward to meeting with him" Each and every one of them said that to me!!!! It was such an amazing thing to hear!! They all mentioned how funny, smart and hard working he is. My little man!...the same little boy who just a couple of years ago would cry and meltdown in his therapies. The same little boy who would roll on the floor screaming and who at times I was at a total and complete loss as to how to help him.

Today was a good day. It was a day that made me see that although I might sometimes feel as if I'm not doing enough for him I've been doing something right.


No comments:

Post a Comment